Tuesday, August 18, 2015

ISIS has killed an antiquities scholar in Palmyra, Syria. The Guardian.

An ISIS fighter on a captured Syrian vehicle. Guardian/AP.

ISIS has executed the head antiquities scholar of Palmyra, Syria. The Guardian. Kahlid Assad, 82 years old, was decapitated and had his body hung from the main square of the ruins of the city. Palmyra is the home of ancient ruins that date as far back as the Roman era. ISIS captured the city in May, but have so far left most of the ruins alone, despite their religious objections to idolatry. Assad spent 50 years as the head antiquities scholar at Palmyra and had his work published in several archaeology journals. The Syrian government was able to evacuate some of the ancient statues from the site before ISIS took the city. 

My Comment:
An absolutely disgusting story out of Syria. And one that is a little bit personal for me. At one point I was seriously considering archaeology as a career, but I decided I didn't want continue my education past my bachelor degree. Still, my classes in archaeology were one of my favorite classes. I love learning about the past and killing Assad ensures that our understanding of the region will remain incomplete. 

I can't imagine what crime ISIS thinks this man committed. He was 82 and studied history. That was his only crime. There is no way that justifies execution and desecrating his body by hanging it from the city square. This may not be the worst thing ISIS has done, but I do think it is disgusting. 

ISIS's obsession with idolatry is probably one of the most terrible aspects to their movement. ISIS isn't the only group to outlaw depictions of humans, including Mohammad, but very few have taken it as far as they have. Idolatry is completely opposed to western ideals like freedom of speech and religious freedom. I'll always oppose idolatry in all its forms.

This isn't the first time Islamic militants have killed those that disagree with their world view. It seems like every time someone tries to criticize Muhammad or depict him in anyway, Jihadists try to kill them. It happened to Theo Van Gogh, Charlie Hebdo and would have happened in Texas as well if it wasn't for the actions of the local police department.

It's important to counter these kinds of threats with resolve. If someone kills someone over a cartoon of Muhammad, that means you should make your own cartoon, or if you lack artistic talent like me, post someone else's work.  I'm not sure how you counter ISIS killing an archaeologist, but I think an airstrike to the face for the killers of Assad would be just fine. 

As for Palmyra itself, I am somewhat surprised that ISIS hasn't destroyed the ruins there. They have destroyed a couple of tombs though, but for the most part the city has been left intact. My guess is that simple ruins aren't considered offensive to their brand of Islam. From what I understand, only actual depictions of people or objects that could be worshiped are banned by ISIS. If there had ban any statues or murals left behind, ISIS would have destroyed them, but I think for the time being the ruins of Palmyra are safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment