Sunday, January 11, 2015

Arson attempt at German newspaper that published Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Yahoo/AFP

A copy of the Hamburger Morgenpost damaged in the arson attempt. Yahoo/Reuters

German tabloid Hamburger Morgenpost had its headquarters firebombed in an attempted arson attempt possibly related to their publishing of Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Yahoo/AFP. Nobody was hurt in the attack and minimal damage was done. It is unclear if the attack had anything to do with the attack but the newspaper had published the cartoons in solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo paper. The paper had hired extra security after publishing the cartoons. The suspects threw rocks and burning object to attempt to start a fire before being detained. 

My Comment:
I'd wager that this attack was a retribution attack for publishing the cartoons. There really aren't any other suspects unless it was just hooligans out to cause problems. I guess the PEGIDA movement could be false flagging, but that seems very unlikely. For those of you not aware PEGIDIA is an anti-immigration movement out of Dresden that has been protesting for some time now. Their movement has been entirely peaceful and though they dislike immigration and are critical of Islam I don't see them doing something this stupid. 

I don't like to invoke Occum's Razor too often because the simplest answer isn't always correct but in this case I will. And I fully expect more attacks like this in Europe. Like I said in a previous post, the Charlie Hebdo attacks were a propaganda coup for groups like Al-Qaeda and ISIS. I am certain that more attacks will happen because radicalized Muslims will be inspired. In this case very little was actually damaged but next time they might not be so lucky. Still, publishing those cartoons was the right thing to do. And since others have taken that chance, I will too... 

Charlie Hebdo's Muhammad issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment