Thursday, November 27, 2014

UK websites hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army. Yahoo/Reuters.

The SEA's last tweet. Via twitter.

The pro-Bashar Al-Assad hacker group known as the Syrian Electronic Army, has hacked several UK websites. Yahoo/Reuters. The media outlets included newspapers such as the Daily Telegraph, the Independent and the Evening Standard. Other news organizations were targeted as well. Users found the following message when they accessed the webpages: "You've been hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA)". The new hacks are the most recent in a long line of attacks by the group. 

My Comment:
I can confirm personally that Forbes.com was one of the sites that was hacked. I was checking the site at work tonight on my break and when I loaded up Forbes I got the same message described in the article. I didn't see any of the other things described in the article because I immediately ctrl-alt-deleted and shut down my web browser. I wasn't going to take any risks but it seems that this was fairly harmless. Still, it is kind of weird to post about something I experienced personally. 

As for the SEA, this is a pretty good propaganda coup for them. They are certainly drawing attention to their cause, which is supporting the Syrian regime. At the very least it lead me to poking around their twitter page. Most of it is either technical posts that are beyond me or are in Arabic but there was a post about #gamergate of all things. They are for it, I guess. Somehow I doubt they actually care either way and are just riding on the coattails of a popular twitter hashtag. Either way it is hilarious. The internet is a strange, wonderful place sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment