Sunday, November 30, 2014

The conversation we should be having about killing in war. Quartz.

We train our soldiers to kill but not to deal with killing. Quartz/Reuters.

Quartz has an excellent post about the conversation we aren't having when it comes to our nations military. I'll skip the normal format for this one because I want you to read it all. But in short, it says we don't spend nearly enough time talking about what it means to kill someone in the military. I didn't serve and I have never even come close to killing anyone, and I hope I never do, but I do know some people that have. None of them really wanted to talk about it, and I was too smart to ask them. It is an incredibly private thing and I always thought the question "Did you kill anyone in the war" was in very bad taste. 

That being said, more needs to be done to talk about this issue. PTSD effects thousands of troops and even the ones it doesn't effect need to have their countries support. And we always need to stop and think about what effect the war will have on the soldiers before we deploy troops. That doesn't mean it should be the only consideration, but it does need to be addressed.

Also, a tip of the hat to War News Updates, since I saw this story there first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment