Monday, November 3, 2014

Editor's note/musing on the election.

Blogging might be light for the next day or so. I'm going to be busy. I'll try to have something tomorrow night for the election but I am not sure if they will have results up by the time I can post. The election is dominating the news right now so there isn't much else to post about.

As far as the election goes it should be interesting. It really seems like the Republicans will take the senate, which, if nothing else, will be a major change. Love them or hate them, having the Republicans in charge will change things. I still don't think that they will get much done since Obama will veto anything they pass that he doesn't like.

Still, people forget that our government was designed around keeping the government from making rapid change. People today don't understand that we don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Our entire system of government is all about reducing democracy, not celebrating it. People need to understand that the "tyranny of the majority" was a major concern for the founding fathers. Change is supposed to be hard in America. That's the whole point of a republican government (ie not the political party, but the actual form of government).

As for me, I plan on voting tomorrow morning. I just moved so I will have to register there which is why I don't think I will be able to get any posts out tomorrow morning. I wanted to register today but when I went to city hall they said the cutoff was yesterday, which just sounds stupid to me. Oh well, nobody to blame but myself for waiting for the last minute. It's not a hugely important election in my state since I largely don't care about state politics. My congressman is not going to lose and the only other major election is for Governor. I'm mostly voting because of gun rights, plus I feel I have a duty to vote. I haven't missed a major election since I was old enough to vote so I'm not going to start missing elections now.

No comments:

Post a Comment