Saturday, September 27, 2014

Volcano erupts in Japan and traps 250 people. Yahoo/AP

Mt. Ontake erupts. 

A volcano in Japan, Mt. Ontake, has erupted and trapped 250 people in the area. Yahoo/AP. The volcano erupted suddenly around noon and covered some people in ash. 11 were injured and 8 of those injures were serious. Seven people lost consciousness. 52 people were able to escape by climbing down the mountain. Japan's meteorological agency raised the alert level for the country and warned people to stay away from the mountain. 

via Youtube

My Comment:
Not much to say on this one except that I hope everyone made it out ok. I do have to ask why on earth were there so many people climbing around an active volcano? How does that make sense? I know that major mountains can have a large amount of people climbing at any one time. Mt. Everest is a great example. But apparently Mt. Ontake is one too. I live in Wisconsin so admittedly my knowledge of mountains is pretty limited. We just don't have them here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment