Friday, August 29, 2014

Vatican denies ISIS threat against Pope Francis. CBS/AP

Pope Francis. CBS/AP.

The Vatican denies reports of an ISIS threat against Pope Francis. CBS/AP. An Italian Newspaper, Il Tempo, claims that ISIS is targeting the Pope due to being a major leader in Christianity and a "proponent of false truth". Italy, along with Britain, raised a terror alert in both countries but do not have any claims of a specific threat. The Vatican denounces these threats and claim there is no special danger. 

My Comment:
Out of all people, my Mom told me about this story. Anyways, Pope Francis would be wise to take these reports seriously. Even if there isn't a specific threat the Pope is very vulnerable to assassination. And from what I understand he doesn't take as many precautions as a head of state should (he is technically). I also know that he understands the threat but he takes the risk anyways to be closer to his people. That's admirable but dangerous. Still, with ISIS being incredibly hostile to any religion that isn't their particular brand of Sunni Islam, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a shot at him. 

If the Pope were killed or injured by ISIS I can't imagine what would happen. There would be millions of very angry Catholics. I'd be pretty upset about it as well. I'm not particularly religious and I don't agree with all or even most of Pope Francis's opinions but it's clear to me that he is a good person who deeply cares about the common man. In other words he is the opposite of ISIS...

No comments:

Post a Comment