Monday, August 11, 2014

ISIS is crucifying people in Syria. -Yahoo/Reuters

A Syrian Army base destroyed by ISIS. -Yahoo/Reuters

ISIS has crucified two people and executed 23 others in Eastern Syria in the past five days. -Yahoo/Reuters The executions follows a string of victory over local tribesman who were resisting them.  Many of the people executed were from the al-Sheitaat tribe, who have fought ISIS after the group took control of oil fields. The two that were crucified were accused of "dealing with apostates". The brutal attacks are only one part of a propaganda war that ISIS is fighting. ISIS also is fighting crime and giving supplies to locals to gain support. 

My Comment:
ISIS actions in Syria tend to be overshadowed by their stunning victory in Iraq, but the truth is the fight in Syria is just as brutal as it is in Iraq. It's clear that ISIS is fairly savvy as well. The brutality obviously has its purpose, rule by terror, but the fact that they are handing out supplies and dealing with criminals (harshly I might add) makes them look like an actual state. For all their faults and unquestionable evil, it's also true that they are smart. They understand politics and social media and are very skilled at propaganda.

My question is why crucifixion of all things? I understand it is a terrible way to die and that is probably the only reason they need but could it be more? I wonder if it is not some kind of mockery against Christianity. Either way, if I was fighting these guys I would fight to the second to last bullet and keep the last one for myself, or better yet, keep a live grenade and take a few of them with me. They are pretty much evil incarnate and I pity anyone that falls into their hands... 

No comments:

Post a Comment