Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Psychological warfare in Iraq. -Yahoo/Reuters.

ISIS has released a new propaganda film in a continued recruitment and psychological warfare campaign. -Yahoo/Reuters. The video details the ISIS mission to take Samarra in north-central Iraq. It details drive by shootings, sniper attacks, lighting fast raids and the execution of prisoners. It also shows Mosques and other buildings being destroyed.

My Comment:
I haven't seen this video and refuse to link to it on this blog or post any pictures, but I did watch an earlier video in this series that was released before ISIS took Mosul last month. It was without a doubt the most horrifying thing I have ever seen. The violence was, of course deplorable, but that wasn't the disturbing part. It was how well made they were. I took a few film courses in college and I know great production when I see it. It was glorifying killing in a way that made me feel extremely dirty to have watched what was, essentially, a snuff film. I'd recommend not watching any of these films in an uncensored state.

That said, as propaganda it rates up there with Triumph of the Will. The creators of the films do an excellent job of making ISIS look invincible. The message is clear. Keep fighting and you will receive no quarter. You will end up dead in a ditch with a bullet in the back of your head along with all your friends. It could backfire though. If I was a member of the Iraqi security forces and I had seen these videos, not only would I be incredibly angry, I would make sure to fight to the last bullet. I'm not sure the average 18 year old Iraqi soldier would feel the same way though...

ISIS has proven itself to be very savvy at propaganda. They make professional videos and have a strong presence on social media. Like I have said before, the main reason they were able to accomplish so much is because people think fighting them is pointless and will only lead to death. That wasn't true back then and it isn't true right now but so often in warfare and politics perception trumps reality every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment