Sunday, July 20, 2014

Cigarette company loses lawsuit, judgment is for $23 BILLION -Guardian

Smoke these and die. And then your family gets billions. -Guardian/Reuters

A jury in Florida has awarded a widow who sued tobacco company R.J. Reynolds $7.3 million in damages and $23 billion (sic) in punitive damages. -Guardian The son of the man who died will get an additional $9.6 million. The man who died, Micheal Johnson, had been a multiple pack a day chain smoker for 20 years and died of lung cancer. The jury found that R.J. Reynolds concealed the harmful and addictive nature of cigarettes.

My Comment:
Easy prediction. That number will come down in appeals, because right now that is more money then the company has in assets. I'm no fan of tobacco companies but this just seems ridiculous. All I know is that I am very glad that I never started smoking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment